• Suite 5, Level 14, 122 Arthur St. North Sydney

Property Settlement

Home Property Settlement

Book your free initial consultation now

We can help make an often difficult transition easier.

Property Settlement Lawyers Sydney

At Harbourside Legal Services, we can help with a family law property settlement. Our team of experienced property settlement lawyers in Sydney can provide you with legal advice and assistance to ensure a just and equitable outcome. We understand that the process can be emotional at times, so we are here to reduce your stress as much as possible by offering compassionate and effective legal representation.  

A family lawyer will work closely with you throughout the entire process, ensuring that your rights are protected and that any final binding financial agreement is as much in your best interests as possible. Our Sydney property settlement lawyers will also provide advice on what a reasonable outcome may look like, so you can make informed decisions about your future. 

Do I have to be divorced to split the property?

As soon as you have separated you can make arrangements to split your property and debts between you and your ex partner, you do not have to wait until you are divorced.

Do we have to go to Court?

No, not at all. If you have already agreed on how things should be divided between you, your lawyer can draw up the document which will finalise the arrangements, and then get underway the legal processes which will split the assets.

What if we can’t agree?

The Family Law Act has an established process in cases where there is disagreement over how property should be split. Firstly the court needs to be satisfied that you have attempted to reach agreement, and to this end you will be ordered to participate in dispute resolution. 

If this doesn’t resolve the matter then an application for property orders must be filed with the Family Court or Federal Magistrates Court. This application must be made within 12 months of your divorce becoming final. The matter will be set down for hearing and a legally binding decision will be made by the court. The more you proceed through these stages, the more important it can become to obtain legal advice. 

How does the court decide?

Firstly the court will calculate the total assets owned by both parties, including property, shares, cars, jewellery, savings, furniture etc. This includes things you brought into the relationship, those acquired during the relationship and also those purchased after separation.

Next the court will weigh up the contributions from both parties, including financial, non-financial, inheritances and assets brought into the relationship. Then the court will look at the future needs of both parties, including factors such as your capacity to earn money and your parental responsibilities. Lastly the court will make a decision based on what is just and equitable to both parties.

Specialist Sydney Property Settlement Lawyers

Dealing with the complexities of property settlement in Sydney is stressful but the consequences of not doing it properly can impact on the rest of your life. We are experienced negotiators, and will make sure that you get the best possible outcome. We are confident we can prove to you we are one of the best property settlement lawyers Sydney has to offer. 

Our services

Harbourside Legal Services family law solicitors can provide assistance for a range of matters relating to family law and de facto relationships, including:

Marriage, De Facto and Divorce Law

  • Prenuptial agreements (prenups)
  • Divorce in Australia including preparing and serving divorce papers
  • Legal separation issues
  • Annulment of marriages
  • Spousal maintenance
  • Property settlements
  • Binding Financial Agreements
  • Domestic and family violence and apprehended violence orders (AVOs)
  • Family Mediation Legal aid for family law matters
  • Legal representation at Family Court

Children’s issues

  • Child support enforcement of payments
  • Parenting plans for child custody visitation
  • Parental rights, father’s rights and grandparent’s rights
  • Guardianship of children Adoption Children’s Court

Contact Us For A

Free Case Assessment

    Call Now Button